Thursday night we received the call we had been dreading for 11 months. Bob left this world quickly after passing out shortly after dinner. Derrick came home stunned and devastated and we immediately began calling our contacts at the funeral home and church we had previously talked to. Thank goodness for preparations that were made because we were frantically getting calls from Kathy, the charge nurse and the social worker about what the arrangements were. The funeral chapel quickly took over for us and made the necessary plans and all the call backs for us so we were able to focus on Kathy (over the phone) and what her next steps were going to be. I had a feeling in my gut that this was coming soon and Derrick too had felt that every time we left the Care Center it would probably be the last time we saw him. I am so thankful that the Dr's and nurses recommended Hospice Care for both Bob and Kathy so that someone extra was there those last few weeks to help prepare and counsel her when we couldn't. We had been praying for peace for the last few months after seeing Bob suffer through every breath he took during our visits and the loneliness in his eyes was a sign of a worn down and tired spirit. It is bittersweet (as Derrick has put it) because he is certainly in a better place able to walk, talk and most importantly dance and laugh again but remembering Bob before the stroke has been especially painful considering it was just 11 months ago that he walked out of Fairview hospital holding our Riley, after his initial stroke, in his arms and looking forward to going home to therapy sessions and a new lease on life. I have found a deep respect for my Mother in law throughout this whole process. She has shown to me what true strength and love is in her dedication to her husband by sitting by his side tirelessly for days on end. She is stronger than I think she even realized and we will do whatever we can to make sure she knows how loved she is and how dearly missed Bob will be. I was apart of this family from day one in Bob's book and he showed me love like I was his own. I have many great memories of our days up north bar hopping with Bob and Kathy, singing bad karaoke (on my part) and making last minute and late night trips to the casino for giant ice cream cones and turkey shoot slots. You always woke up to his snoring or his early morning potatoes browning and bacon crackling. He was always on the go and there is a deafening quiet in the trailer since he went into the hospital. Reason #193 why I love my husband and the man who taught him everything he knows: He drove up north this morning to spend the day with his Mother so she didn't have to spend her first Valentine's day alone. This is a direct reflection on Bob and a glimpse into the Man my Son will grow to be. My sister in law and I tirelessly worked on a video slideshow/tribute to Bob well after midnight last night and after a whole bottle of wine was done. We couldn't quite work out a few kinks and I awoke at 3 a.m. feeling an urge to finish it. I did finally work out the kinks close to 6 a.m. and I cried and cried until Riley finally woke up to help mend my broken heart. Seeing the finished product has been painful to watch and I knew after watching it with Derrick that he belonged up north with his Mother and family to help him put some pieces of his heart back together. So it was a Mother/Son Valentine's day today for both of us in two different cities and I wouldn't have had it any other way. We love you dearly Kathy and Bob we thank you for all the wonderful memories we have to pass on to our Son. You will be missed and loved until we meet again. Thank you also to Kevin and Sheri for driving back down to the cities to help us put back together the slideshow! I couldn't have done it without the Davanni's, the wine and the company of you Sheri! You can visit startribune.com/obituaries for information about his wake and service or go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/bobtheisen.
We look forward to honoring Bob's memory with family and friends in the next couple of days.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment